Friday 17 September 2010

Hurling yourself into the Hurricane

I’ve got a bit of blogging catching up to do, but I must first remark on the death of snooker player Alex Higgins, which passed me by to some extent. I was aware it had happened, but it didn’t really sink in until I watched a documentary on BBC2 the other day.

I only mention it in the context of this blog because the biography of Higgins written by Bill Borrows, which I read a few years ago, contains one of the best opening chapters you’re ever likely to read.

Your typical biography goes back to the roots of its subject, examines their relationship with their parents, their early days, their education and how all these things and more have combined to create the person they are today and influenced their career in whatever field they’ve excelled – or not, as it increasingly appears to be in these days where fame seems to be the be all and end all.

Borrows’ book – The Hurricane (Atlantic Books) – has all of this, but not until after the first chapter (and an equally revelatory preface), where the author simply relates his experiences trying to meet and interview Higgins as part of what both parties were hoping would become a working relationship.

It’s an incredibly moving depiction of what life is like in Higgins’ world, by turns funny and sad (often at the same time), and tells you more about Higgins than any biography or documentary.

Indeed, such is its lure than I’ve just re-read the preface and opening chapter (Four ‘fucks’ and a ‘prick’ in the opening six lines), even though I’ve still got dozens of other – new - books to read before Big Ben tolls on December 31st. Must focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment