Wednesday 16 June 2010

Miss is no boon

I said earlier this year that I would write about libraries at some stage, and I will, but first a brief tale from the other day.

I visited the library to take back a few books and get out a few more, in advance of a holiday when I intend to do enough reading to get me back on track in this challenge.

It was early on Saturday, just after the library had opened, and as I handed over my latest books, the librarian drew my attention to a new 'blind book' initiative to encourage people to read new and different authors they might not normally contemplate.

Give my challenge this year, this seemed right up my street, so it took little persuasion for me to embrace the idea and I was soon walking out with a little bag containing an unidentified book which I had agreed to read, no matter the author or genre, and then write a brief review when I had finished. Exactly what I'm doing with 100 books this year, then.

As I left, in a bit of a hurry due to another appointment, the librarian joked: "Don't worry, it won't be a Mills & Boon." And when I got home, I discovered it wasn't. But it was virtually the next worst thing, what looks like some chick-lit nonsense called Divorced and Deadly, by Josephine Cox.

But stop, I'm prejudging it, which misses the point of the entire exercise. As always, I'll give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment