Monday 1 March 2010

#16 Travels in the Scriptorium, by Paul Auster (Faber and Faber Limited)

Well, this could be the shortest review I write this year, mainly because I wasn't quite sure what to make of Travels in the Scriptorium. I could certainly suggest some theories or put forth some hypotheses – but perhaps not in so few paragraphs.

Let's be clear, I enjoyed it. I liked the confusing nature of the tale of a man who has no identity, few memories and even less idea of what is happening. But, if it's possible, I was even more in the dark.

It's my second Paul Auster book of this challenge, and it's evident how he has earned his existentialist reputation, spinning stories within yarns, and telling tales inside yet more stories, none of which may be true. It's difficult to describe, but it's unique and absorbing writing.

So, rating time:

#16 Travels in the Scriptorium, by Paul Auster (Faber and Faber Limited) - 7/10

Next up: Right as Rain, by George Pelecanos (Orion)

  • Click here for the full list of books so far, and their rating
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment