Friday 5 February 2010

Same difference

With two of the first five books I've read this year by the same author, Charlie Brooker, and compilations of his newspaper articles at that, I'm conscious that I could do with introducing a bit of diversity into this enterprise - and I'm not talking about the currently ubiqitous Britain's Got Talent-winning street dancers whose talents don't yet, as far as I'm aware, stretch to literature (although I guarantee it's only a matter of time).

I'm not feeling too guilty; I'd more or less read Brooker's first book before I'd decided to embark on this, some will argue, ill-considered 100-book challenge, and the short columns are ideal for when I have only a brief amount of reading time. There is nothing worse than picking up a book, and then having to put it down just as you're getting into it.

It's also a matter of convenience. Having not given things much thought before embarking on the challenge, I am fully aware that over the course of this year, I will have to have 100 books in my possession at some point, and I don't intend to pay for them all (if any).

Obviously, I intend to borrow recommended books from friends and I also intend to visit a library for what must be the first time in around 15 years. I'll no doubt return to this subject at a later date.

There is obviously a balance to be struck; not every book can be new (or old, in terms of the classics), challenging or thought-provoking, although the more the better. I intend to read a wide range of authors; if this task is about anything it's about broadening my literary horizons and finding new authors I like - and which to avoid.

But equally, I'm sure there there will come a time, perhaps when I've once again failed to finish Life of Pi, when I seek the comfort of a familar face.

No comments:

Post a Comment