Wednesday 20 January 2010

No blog obituary yet...

The Wench had a go at me the other day for the first time about the 100-book challenge - and this associated blog - and it wasn't even my fault!

To briefly recap/explain, my job keeps me fairly busy and involves long hours, at many times to the detriment of my social and family life. I know this, but I quite like to be kept busy, enjoy what I do, and take pride in doing it well.

I would be lying if this somewhat hectic lifestyle didn't cause occasional problems at home, however, so although supportive when I first ventured forth the 100-book idea - not least because she was the one who first mentioned it - it was left unsaid that, of course, such matters should not be allowed to interfere with or get in the way of other family activities.

That it took until more than a fortnight into January for an issue to arise meant things were going relatively well, but her hackles were clearly raised when, after I got up at 8am on Saturday morning following a particularly late night the previous night, she awoke to discover me absent, and came downstairs to find me typing away on the laptop.

"You better not be doing that bloody blog," is a summary of what was directed in my direction, entirely without justification I should add.

For not only had I got up to watch some of what was an exciting cricket match between England and South Africa, I was actually working. And not only was I working, I was writing an obituary of someone who had died overnight, instantly making her feel guilty as well.

1-0 to me - not that my lead will last long...

No comments:

Post a Comment